USNS Impeccable

Posted: 12 March, 2009 by SeaBart in ugly
Tags: , ,

USNS Impeccable

Pennant nr : T-AGOS 23

Build : 2000 by American Shipbuilding, Tampa, Florida in the USA, nr ??

This one came to my attention by being in the news for an incident in the South China Sea…Thank you World Press. And she is ugly, no wonder the Chinese tried to stop her, I would if that sight came into my waters! Again a SWATH-design (as here) but why the boxy bits on top of it?? Was the designer out of angles or did he or she only have a ruler to make the drawings?

Dunno source via http://www.msc.navy.mil

Dunno source via http://www.msc.navy.mil

There are 4 other similar (almost the same) ships in the MSC-fleet, all more or less as ugly as this one:

USNS Able

Dunno source, via http://www.msc.navy.mil/

Dunno source, via http://www.msc.navy.mil/

USNS Effective

Dunno source, via http://www.msc.navy.mil/

Dunno source, via http://www.msc.navy.mil/

USNS Loyal

Dunno source, via http://www.msc.navy.mil/

Dunno source, via http://www.msc.navy.mil/

USNS Victorious

Dunno source, via http://www.msc.navy.mil/

Dunno source, via http://www.msc.navy.mil/

BTW: MSC here stands for Military Sealift Command, not to be mistaken by the (here also featured) Mediterranean Shipping Company.

Mmmm, let me think……………..The views of the vessel were Impeccable, she was Able and very Effective in being ugly and, according to the  Loyal visitors of  the site she came out Victorious as an Ugly Ship!

About these ads
Comments
  1. T says:

    Are you seroiusly judging this ship and calling it ugly? Your a fu**ing idiot. This ship is manned by civilian Merchant Marines and one of them happens to be my fiancee. So why don’t you show a little respect for those men and women who are putting themselves in harms way to protect our country? Let’s see a picture of you, so we can judge you and call you ugly? Oh wait that’s right, you just sit at your computer and post your pathetic little “blogs” and think your cool.
    You hae not a clue. Ass.

  2. seabart says:

    Wooohoooo…you are being subtile!!

    I didn’t mention a single bit about the crew, did I??

    And yes, sometimes I’m sitting nicely & comfortable behind a computer but my computer is located on a rolling ship in the middle of the ocean.

    Goodbye & have a nice day!

  3. t says:

    Maybe you should mention a single bit about the crew?! Weird!?
    Oh and I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person…
    Good day to you!

  4. seabart says:

    I couldn’t agree more…..

  5. blah says:

    Obviously the design is intended to lower the ship’s surface radar signature. I would have expected some mention of that, since it is obviously the main reason for the design aesthetics you are so repulsed by.

    The “boxy bits” on top are nothing to do with SWATH. Swath is about what happens when the ship meets the waves, the lower visible portions and submerged parts of the ship. It is about hull contact with the sea.

    But yes, the “boxy bits” are a necessity for the ship’s mission. You don’t need to eliminate the radar signature from 100% of the exposed surfaces of a ship:

    Eliminating 80% of the ship’s exposed surfaces (as shown) is still a pretty good thing. The remaining 20% “boxy bit on top” will bounce back radar, but signal return strength and signal clarity is rapidly depleted over distance. From a hundred miles away, the “boxy bits” you refer to will likely appear the size of a small fishing boat … from several hundred miles away, they probably resemble a flock of birds. This causes the nation being monitored by this ship to investigate every fishing boat and large flock of sea birds ‘face to face’, in person … a requirement too expensive and labor intensive for most countries … so effectively you still get a stealth result. None of this is a “military secret”. In fact, it is common sense.

    BTW: I don’t think mentioning SWATH is much of a clarification. SWATH and stealth are two separate issues entirely. You can make a SWATH ship with a huge radar signature, and you can also make a non-SWATH ship that is quite ‘stealthy’. In fact: no stealth aircraft are SWATH … that is, unless someone out there has retro-fitted an old P-38 into an amphibious stealth plane ;)

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s